Monday, February 12, 2018

How 1 Article Got 54,205 Organic Pageviews Over 30 Days With Keyword Targeting

What I’m going to share with you today, is a tactic I've personally used on my sites several times.  In a nutshell, I was able to get 54,000 organic pageviews alone in the last 30 days from just 1 article on a site that is about a year old.

The 2 keys to success were targeting the right group of keywords and continuously updating the content as it has success.  I did not build any external links to this article (although some have come naturally at this point); however, I have built internal links (from other articles on my site) which helps pass some of the authority from other pages to this one.

Finding Low Competition Keywords:

Finding low competition keywords has always been the foundation of any successful authority site.  We all know that Spencer and the many people that he’s influenced have been structuring their sites around low competition keywords for many years.  One of the recent strategies that I've been using as part of the Niche Pursuits Team, is a method of both creating fantastic content up front, but also improving our existing content to rank for additional keywords – basically juicing our articles that rank well and already get some traffic. 

Using this same strategy, I managed to generate 54,205 page views (screen shot below) over the last 30 days from a single page on a site with under 30 pages of content.  It all starts however, with finding a single low competition keyword.  You can do this using Long Tail Pro, and entering keywords that are relevant to the niche you are thinking of starting.

Once you’ve found the keywords that has a KC score of under 30, that’s usually a good start.  You know you can rank for that keyword – but how do you find other relevant keywords to add to your article and make it a complete resource?  That’s where using tools like Ahrefs or SEMRush come in handy. 

Stealing Competitor Keywords:

Let’s say I’m in the fitness niche, and I’m looking to start an authority website on fitness & bodybuilding making money from display ads and Amazon Associates income.  The first step would be to find a profitable keyword, that’s easy to rank for using Long Tail Pro.  Once I’ve found that keyword, I’ll run the Keyword through Ahrefs to get a view of the competitive landscape for the top 10 search results.

From there, I’ll look at the pages that get the most traffic in the top 10.  Usually I’ll look at the top 2-3 most visited pages for that search query.  Ahrefs and SEMRush both allow you to see all the additional keywords that each of those sites are ranking for, allowing me to compile a list of relevant and still easy to rank for keywords. 

Once I have a list of primary keywords that each of those articles is ranking for that I want to target, I’ll start organizing those into subsets of keywords, with the keywords that get the highest amount of traffic included in my Title tag in WordPress.  All the other keywords will get added into the article, usually someplace in the article, but for medium volume keywords, I’ll add those to H2 and H3 tags within the text, and I may include them somewhere in my meta description with YOAST.  Here’s an example about how my keyword research might look after looking up some competition related to the keyword “Best Creatine.”

I found this keyword in Long Tail Pro, and further analyzed my competition by using Ahrefs and looking at some of the top pages that are tanking in the top 10 for these keywords.

Primary Keywords in Article Title Tag:

  • Best Creatine – 18,000 Searches Per Month
  • Best Creatine Supplement – 3,700 Searches Per Month
  • Creatine Reviews – 1,000 Searches Per Month
  • Best Types of Creatine – 1,000 Searches Per Month

Additional Keywords To Target in H2 Tags Through Article Based on Competitor Research:

  • Creatine Hydrocholride – 3,100 Searches Per Month
  • Creatine HCL vs Monohydrate (And Variations) – 3,600 Searches Per Month
  • Best Creatine Monohydrate – 1,700 Searches Per Month
  • What is Creatine – 14,000 Searches Per Month

Additional Keywords to Target Through Article:

  • Best Creatine on the Market – 450 Searches Per Month
  • What is Micronized Creatine – 200 Searches Per Month
  • Creatine Monohydrate vs Micronized – 200 Searches Per Month
  • Best Type of Creatine For Bulking – 10 Searches Per Month
  • Best Type of Creatine for Cutting – 10 Searches Per Month

This list here will sometimes consist of up to 100 keywords for articles that I’m trying to build out as a longer article.  The article for my site is 3,300 words long.   If I’m knowledgeable about the niche (which you should be for any niche site you start), then I focus on writing for my audience and a lot of these keywords will end up in my content naturally.

If you do a quick run down on the math here, between all of these keywords add up to over 46,000 searches per month, and that doesn’t include longtail variations.

The key is finding the keywords that have the lowest amount of competition.  The example above may be too competitive for those not already doing well in the fitness niche, but there are keywords out there that get lots of search volume which have minimal competition.

Structuring Your Content:

Once I’ve compiled my list of excellent keywords, structuring your content correctly on-page is important.  Here’s how I’ll structure my content to ensure that I’ve captured all the keywords I’ve researched.

Title Tag:  My primary keywords will always be included in my title tag.  I use YOAST SEO to make my SEO title that’s displayed in Google reflect differently than my actual article title.  This is a little trick that can get you extra traffic. 

Here’s an example of what my Title Tag may look like:

Best Creatine Supplements: 2018 Ratings & Reviews of Different Creatine Types

Here’s an example of what my YOAST SEO title would look like:

Best Creatine Supplements: 2018 Ratings & Reviews

By structuring my title tag this way, I’ve told Google that the primary topic my content is about is Best Creatine Supplements.  I’ve also indicated that I’m looking at different “types” of creatine which is one of the keywords I picked out to target in the title.

H2 & H3 Tags: Next, I’ll break down my secondary keywords and make sure I have a section devoted to that particular topic.  You can see I’ve targeted “what is creatine” as a keyword.  I would create an H2 tag somewhere in the article that asks the question “Just what is creatine” and then write anywhere from 500 words up to 2,000 words on that section depending on how in depth I want to get.  I do this for all my secondary keywords.

Keywords in Content: Lastly, I’ll make sure I have a good amount of keywords spread out through the article.  Many times I don’t even need to worry about this because as I mentioned earlier, they come naturally if you know about your niche.  If you are hiring writers, make sure you give them your keyword list so they can include anything you provide them in your article.

Keywords on Steroids:

Here’s where I take it a step further.  I usually publish the article, let it rank and let it sit for a couple of weeks.  I like to let it set in and see where it ranks. If the content is good and I see that it’s ranking well right away, I’ll go back and find more competitive terms that my article might be able to rank for. 

I find these keywords by using the same process I did to find the first set of keywords, usually by using SEMRush or Ahrefs.  I then add sections to the article and target additional keywords.

For my page that got 54k pageviews in the last 30 days – I did not build any external links, but I did build internal links. I simply linked from 4 or 5 other articles on my site that are relevant and have some existing authority.

Beyond that, all I did was go back and start adding additional content once I saw how the article performed, which was after about 30 days.  The article is now 3,300 words long, which honestly is not that long compared to some of the other articles I've done.

This helped add additional traffic and additional keywords that now acquire additional long tail traffic.  While I can’t guarantee that you’ll have the same success that I did, I can tell you that this strategy does work, especially if your domain has some authority and Google likes your content.

Can You Do The Same Thing?

Not only can you do the same thing, I think it’s imperative to produce high-quality content for your niche sites.  The competitive landscape is changing, and things are getting noisier every month on the internet.

You’ll need to fight for readers in the online space if you want your content to rank.  The only way to do that is to produce BETTER content than your competitors.  

If you like this strategy, then you’ll like what we cover at Niche Pursuits Insider.  Our live member website reviews give you a chance to have your site reviewed by Spencer, Jake and myself, to give you tips and advice about how you can grow your site. 

Hopefully you’ve found some little nuggets of good information here, and we hope to see you as a part of the Niche Pursuits Insider family!

The post How 1 Article Got 54,205 Organic Pageviews Over 30 Days With Keyword Targeting appeared first on Niche Pursuits.



from Niche Pursuits http://ift.tt/2Brj5Wr

No comments:

Post a Comment